Friday 13 February 2009

How to get work experience in advertising

Following this incredibly good guide on writing a CV for your first advertising job penned by my better half - Copybot -  I thought I'd elaborate a little, first of all with a guide on how to get work experience, later to be followed by how to get into Account Planning specifically. 

N.B. This is a guide on how to get work experience in Account Management or Planning, the route for Creatives is very different.

So, if you want to get some work experience, the first thing you need to do is start sending out begging letters to as many agencies as you can think of. I applied to dozens, heard back from about 15, and was actually given experience at 6, so be prepared for a lot of rejection as well as a whole lot of nothing from the agencies that can't be bothered to reject you.

Your first port of call the IPA website where you can find a list of agencies, google them to find their contact details. Importantly, you should also put in the extra effort to find someone to address it to - either the head of the department you want to get into, or the head of Human Resources. If these names aren't on the agency's own website visit Brand Republic and do some searching (but make sure the article is recent, and not about them getting made redundant!)

Post your begging letter to them, don't bottle it and just send an email. The average head of department will receive somewhere in the region of 1000 emails a week, but only 4 or 5 letters and a couple if industry magazines in the post. Even though it may seem a little antiquated (especially if you're applying to a digital agency) it is a very simple way to be noticed and not lost amongst all the spam.

Of course, like a street begger, your begging letter has to be good. Just as I always find myself more likely to give money to a busker or a Big Issue seller, than a begger who just lies there in a drunken stupor with a Starbucks cup clasped in his one remaining hand, you're more likely to get work experience if you put the effort in.

Here is the letter I wrote to people, and how I stood out: 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 reasons why giving me work experience is better than traditional slave labour


1.    By using traditional slave labour you are required to feed, clothe and even house your workers. Not only will I work for no money but I will wear my own clothes (mostly), manage my own nutritional needs (keeping all 3 major food groups covered – beans, toast and cereal) and sleep in my own house (rented, of course).


2.    Slaves take no interest in the work they’re doing (I’d go as far as saying they don’t want to work in advertising at all!) I take great interest in the advertising world: above the line, below the line and online. As a daily reader of advertising blogs and an IPA newsletter subscriber I am very in tune with the advertising world and the wider world. Slaves never keep up with current affairs.


3.    When keeping slaves you’re always looking over your shoulder, trying to keep the government off your back (imperialist scum). Not only is giving me work experience 100% legal, but you’ll never have to apologise for it. In fact, you’ll come out looking saintly for helping a struggling graduate get a leg up on the career ladder.


4.    Slaves have no ambition or drive. It has been my life goal for many years to work in advertising. I will work incredibly hard for you just to get a taste of the industry and to make myself a great candidate for your agency.


5.    Slaves have no sense of humour! Not only will I work hard for you but I’ll try my best to keep you entertained too. A member of the comedy society at university and regular performer of stand up comedy, I am outgoing, hardworking, inquisitive and perfect for the industry. Also, I make a mean cup of tea.


Don’t flog yourself making this decision: slavery has never been so easy! Give me a call (how many slaves can say that?) I’ll work so hard for you that by the end of our time together you won’t want to give me my freedom!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This letter worked incredibly well, and was cited as the reason I was given a chance every time I was called in for an interview.

Here's my checklist for writing a good begging letter:
  • Be keen - there are hundreds of people vying for every work experience place in an agency. If you want to be the person they pick you have to make it damn clear that this means the most to you and you're going to work your arse off for them.
  • Be open and honest about what you're after - don't tip-toe around the issue, be confident and assertive about the fact that you want a job in advertising and you want work experience to make you the best possible candidate for the industry.
  • Be as funny and entertaining as you can - not always easy, but I believe everyone has a bit of humour in them, just try not to be annoying.
  • Be yourself - this one is as old as the hills but it's so important. If, for instance, someone sent my letter as their own, they would soon be found out at interview because it wouldn't fit with their personality at all
  • Be willing to work for free! If you're expecting to get paid, think again. As much as it sucks, there's hundreds of people who would take your place for free. Some would probably even pay the agency, if the option existed (note to self: propose idea to HR department and demand 50% of the money).
Follow Copybot's guide for your CV and throw in a well written covering letter to the effect of "Dear Important Person, please find attached a letter explaining exactly why you should give me some work experience, yours sincerely Desperate Graduate"  and you're ready to seal those envelopes.



3 comments:

  1. very much appreciated!!! i like it a lot and will apply the tips in my application!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!

    What an open minded way of approach.

    Thank you tons for the same!

    Please do keep blogging.
    Quid pro quo: I wish you lots of luck and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duuuude, tell us what are you doing now? Are you working in an agency??? :)))

    ReplyDelete