Friday 17 August 2007

Cold reception

I recently stumbled across the website for the Icebar that Absolut vodka have created in London. When researching genuinely cool stuff, it's often hard not to sell it to yourself - I found myself really wanting a drink of Absolut (even though I'm not much of a vodka fan) and I really can't wait to visit the Icebar.

One of several across the world, it's made entirely out of ice (as the name suggests) and by the bar I mean the whole bar: seats, tables, the floor, and the glasses. If you want to visit you can book a 40 minute slot for around £18, which includes your thermal suit, an ice glass and a vodka (Absolut, of course) cocktail. I am definitely planning to go to this bar at some point, it sounds like a great night out and an even better anecdote to be have (always good to have a few icebreakers).
I think the Icebar is a masterstroke of marketing on the part of Absolut: the idea of the bar sells itself by word of mouth ("hey, have you heard about that ice bar?") and in doing so it sells the brand. Visitors to the bar are immersed in an entirely branded bar, which may not sound that impressive, but if you consider how many drinks brands you would normally be exposed to the imagery of in a bar, the power of seeing only one has got to count for something.

I certainly think that the anecdotal power of the bar would encourage people who had previously been to the bar to buy Absolut next time they are purchasing vodka. I admit that had I been to the bar, and was having a party, or taking a drink to a party, I would be sorely tempted to buy Absolut in order to give myself an opening to talk about my night at the Icebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment